Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 10

So, I was REALLY shocked to discover that yesterday was day TEN out of 70!!!... Which means I am already 7% of the way through my current quest!!!!... shocked and scared. Scared I won't make it. I feel like my progress has been slow, though it has been exactly what I had planned.

Last week I met my goals. I wrote 3 pages and formatted my paper with a new LaTeX template that is beautiful and easy to use. I found my first guest editor and sent her my paper on Friday and set an appointment to meet with her to hear her criticism (Thank you VenJence!!!) And I also planned this week.

This week's goals:
1. write three new pages
2. update references section
3. figure out how to use symbols in LaTeX
BONUS
4. figure out how to write simple equations in LaTeX

Monday and Tuesday were a bit of a wash for personal reasons... but yesterday I got back on track! Yay! So here are my daily goals and self rewards:

Wednesday
Goal: Write 25 lines
Reward: Go to WXXI and be on TV
Thursday
Goal: Write 25 lines, figure out symbols
Reward: Go to league meeting
Friday
Goal: Write 25 lines, write references
Reward: Go to metal onslaught, Candy from Fifi, Open surprise gift for Farrah Daze Rage
Saturday
Goal: Write 15 lines, post about weekly progress
Reward: PARTAY
Sunday
Goal: Write 15 lines
Reward: ??... no clue about this day...

25-28 lines = roughly one page in the editing program I am using. It's easier for me to track my progress if I just say "25 lines." Easier to count and record (which I do.)

Thanks for reading, and thanks to everyone who has been asking me, "So, how's your paper coming?" It's about 16 pages long now (not counting the title page, contents page, etc) and I hope after a few more weeks of writing like this I will be able to concentrate more on editing and getting some nice figures and images to explain the principles further that I am discussing in the paper.

Oh... and initially the title was: The Physics of Roller Derby. Which was nice.... But I got a little creative last night when I was hanging out at WXXI and decided the title should be:

Roller Derby as a Tool for Engaging Students
in the Physics Classroom
Or
How I Learned to Stop Worrying
and Love the Track

:) Enjoy your day!


2 comments:

Elexina said...

Your Sunday reward can be coming over to watch the Bristol race with us!! ;)

Pam said...

Way to go kiddo!!