Wednesday, March 02, 2011

New Quest: Get graduate degree

Hi there,
As some of you may know, I've been attempting to finish my graduate degree in physics education for a while now (I started in 2004!) All I have to do to finish up is write a 30 page thesis. I am a horrible writer and a terrific procrastinator. But, I have a plan now. I have decided to send an email to my friends and let you know what my plan is. I'm also hoping that a few of you would be interested in helping me out. I don't need any actual work from you... just looking for people to remind me of my plan, and help me stay on track. I understand that I'm not the only one with a busy life, so please don't feel like I'm expecting anything big from anyone, but anything, even just a "Hey, how's the paper going?" once or twice a month is beyond helpful. So, here's the plan.

Stating next Monday I have nine weeks to finish my paper. Then, on the tenth week, I will take that draft and send it to all my editors for a final look over and email it off to my graduate professor. To make this happen I need to write three pages a week (I already have several pages written) or do massive editing or research. Each Sunday I will make a list of weekly goals about how many pages will be written or edited, and what kind of research I will be doing. To make this happen I need penalties. Here are some I have already chosen. If, on Friday night, I haven't completed my weekly goals I cannot go to Amputheatre (it's a game I play with Gil and Grief and Shockin' and some other people... it's really awesome and it happens every other Friday) and on Saturday I am in purgatory until I finish the list. Purgatory means: no video games, no facebook, no email, no derby related activities, no movie night (a weekly gathering held by my non-derby friends). But, I need more.

Here is what I need:
A way to set daily goals.
daily penalties?
I can't use skipping practice as a penalty, cause derby practice is what keeps me breathing most days.
I need more penalties.
Maybe I should come up with a reward??...
If anyone else is working on school work, or a big project, I would love to set work dates... get together at a library and work
I need help with a program called LaTeX
Lots and lots of kicks in the ass.

I need to finish this paper. It is the number one albatross in my life... and I want it GONE before the travel season starts for roller derby. I'd also like the chance to become a teacher again next year.

I am going to keep a blog about my efforts, or lack of efforts, and I will do my very best to write in it every day... this email will be my first post.... I am just going to reuse my same old blog cause I see no reason to make a new one...

For me, being public about difficult things I am attempting to do is a good way to try and keep on track... guilt and public humiliation are great motivators for me.

So, if you are reading this, chances are I think you are awesome, and am hoping that if you have the time, I'd like to grow into an awesome person too, and I'm hoping to get a little help and guidance... Whatever you can spare.

4 comments:

boblog said...

Two things to remember to reaching your goal:

1. No excuses. If you accept no excuses from yourself you will be surprised how smoothly things will go.

2. If you fall off - get back on. Stumbling is not failure. Only giving up is failure. You are human and you will not execute this with perfection. If you accept that up front, you remove the pressure that comes with expectations.

Susan said...

Way to go Amanda!!! Let me know what I can do to help you! I can be a big nag you know!!!

Aunt Gwen said...

Your dad has two great suggestions but they are so much easier said than done. Kudos to you for going public! I love going to the library so anytime you want to go, give me a call, I will join you and hold you accountable for a little while!!

Love ya!

Pam said...

It goes without saying that I think you are totally awesome and I know you can do this!!

Knowing how much you loved teaching I hope that you are successful and are back in the classroom soon. The kids need a caring, inspiring teacher.

Penalties never work with me ...but rewards sure do. I would be very happy to buy you a set of wheels if you complete your 9 week program and have your paper mailed off to your professor the 10th week.

I love you kiddo and believe you can do this ...now if you believe it you you can't fail.